A message from EHL Task Force
Along with the rest of the world, we are watching the Russia-Ukraine conflict unfold with grave concern. As EHL is an international community of students, staff, faculty and alumni centered around hospitality and people, we are also taking action and reflecting on what we can do as a community to help. To follow up on the many requests from you, on how you can give back to those in need or share your initiatives, here are some coordinated actions already in place:
- Some of our students are directly affected by this crisis and are facing difficulties accessing the necessary funds to finance their studies and everyday life as a student. EHL has put in place an emergency fund of CHF 50k that provides 0% interest loans to students in need. If you wish to support this initiative, please get in touch with the Finance Team.
- Some Ukrainian students are already in the process of changing their visas (possibly to refugee status). The Service Center is currently advising students from Ukraine on the procedures to follow and can also advise you on any assistance that you may be able to provide.
- In support of volunteer alumni initiatives in Lausanne, we are setting up a collection of first necessity items at the Lausanne Campus to allow you to donate to the Permanent Mission of Ukraine to the United Nations in Geneva. The collection will take place from 7-18 March, from 7.30 to 6 pm in the bunker (N-1). We will specifically be collecting items from the list of main necessities, shared by the UN, that are needed to care for the victims of the conflict. If you wish to volunteer in this collection's logistics, please sign up via this doodle form.
- For those who wish to support financially in other ways, we recommend donating to the following verified organizations:
- UNHRC is working in Ukraine with the authorities, UN agencies, IDP community groups and other partners to provide humanitarian assistance wherever possible. You can support the organization by getting in touch with our Alaya Team.
- The Association For The Polish Family is a UK based charity working with Eastern Europeans since 2007, and is currently providing food and essentials for families in Poland that were forced to flee their homes in Ukraine. You can support the organization by by getting in touch with our Alaya Team regarding donations.
- The Swiss Chaîne du Bonheur has launched a dedicated fundraising for Ukraine.
- And the Red Cross has shared an overview of their various actions in the region in the attached report (in French and English), as well as information for donations (p.8) to support their efforts.
- And last but not least, the hospitality industry is organizing as well. Marketing agency Stay the Night, together with content creator Kash Bhattacharya from the BudgetTraveller, has launched the Hospitality for Ukraine campaign. This campaign allows hotels, hostels, hosts, and other accommodation providers to offer accommodation for refugees fleeing the crisis.
Our hearts go out to all EHL students, staff and faculty, the AEHL community, and all loved ones directly impacted by this conflict; know that we are here to support you as best we can.
Finally, we would like to make an appeal for empathy and respect. Not all Russians, and therefore not Russia as a whole, are responsible for what is happening today.
So let us not speak of ‘actions of the Russians’ or ‘actions of Russia’, so as to not fall into the trap of generalization and polarization. At an institution such as ours, where respect for people is important regardless of their origin, this situation too requires our nuanced thinking and communication.